Skip to main content
To request boxes, please see the Reference Librarian to submit the collection and box number(s) via LocatorPlus.

U.S. Public Health Service Historic Hospitals and Division of Nursing Public Affairs Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS C 579

Abstract

Contains administrative files primarily relating to PHS nursing, as well as photographs illustrating PHS hospitals and clinics, American outreach to promote hygiene, health and nursing education in Latin America, the Middle East and Asia, and health care facilities in federal prisons and the U.S. Coast Guard.

Dates

  • 1892-1984

Extent

19.4 Linear Feet (31 boxes)

Creator

Physical Location

Materials stored onsite. History of Medicine Division. National Library of Medicine

Language of Materials

Collection materials primarily in English

Restrictions

Collection is not restricted. Contact the Reference Staff for information regarding access.

Copyright and Re-use Information

Donor's copyrights were transferred to the public domain. Archival collections often contain mixed copyrights; while NLM is the owner of the physical items, permission to examine collection materials is not an authorization to publish. These materials are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. It is the user's responsibility to research and understand any applicable copyright and re-publication rights not allowed by fair use. NLM does not grant permissions to publish.

Privacy Information

Archives and manuscript collections may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in any collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications for which the National Library of Medicine assumes no responsibility.

Historical Note

The United States Public Health Service, successor to the U.S. Marine Hospital Service (1798-1902) and the U.S. Public Health and Marine Hospital Service (1902-1912) administered the former marine hospitals in addition to many other hospitals and clinics, the last of which were closed in 1981.

USPHS Division of Nursing originated in the PHS Office of the Surgeon General from the combination of the Division of Nurse Education and Office of Nursing in the Bureau of Medical Services, in 1946; in 1949 this division was abolished and divided into the Division of Nursing Resources in the Bureau of Medical Services and the Division of Public Health Nursing in the Bureau of State Services. In 1960 these two divisions were consolidated into the Division of Nursing in the Bureau of State Services.

Collection Summary

The collection is divided into two series. The Administrative Files series (1919-1984) contains some correspondence from the San Francisco and New Orleans PHS hospitals (1932-1978), documentation of training and modernization programs, regulations and guides, and various reports, notably monthly nursing reports of staffing and patient classification (1979-1981) and trip reports to PHS hospitals (1936-1978).

The second series, Photographs, has four main subseries. The PHS hospitals and clinics files (1892-1981) contain Commissioned Officers Association conferences (1971-1980), building interiors and exteriors, staff and staff residences, construction and renovation, ceremonies and celebrations, and document medical training programs. U.S. Coast Guard images (1943-1971) depict quarantine stations, medical staff, health care facilities, and views of ships and their medical facilities. Federal prison views, their medical staffs, health care facilities and patient care are shown in the Bureau of Prisons subseries (1953-1975). The Indian Health Service Division of Nursing subseries (bulk 1942-1964) is almost exclusively devoted to views of international activities in which nurses supported U.S. programs to assist foreign countries' development. These programs established nurses' training schools, disseminated health and hygiene information, constructed sewage and water supply systems, and worked to eradicate endemic diseases. Views of central and South America show work done under direction of Institute of Inter-American Affairs' Cooperative Health and Sanitation Program, in the Middle East and Southeast Asia under direction of Agency for International Development's U.S. Operations Mission and the U.S. Technical Cooperation Service, and some undated views of European healthcare are credited to the World Health Organization.

Abstract

Contains administrative files primarily relating to PHS nursing, as well as photographs illustrating PHS hospitals and clinics, American outreach to promote hygiene, health and nursing education in Latin America, the Middle East and Asia, and health care facilities in federal prisons and the U.S. Coast Guard.

Physical Location

Materials stored onsite. History of Medicine Division. National Library of Medicine

Provenance

Transfer from PHS by Lila Davis, Carville Station, 1989 Feb. 10, Accession #549 and 0549a.

Related Collections

See also PHS Historic Hospitals Collection MS C 471

General

Processed by
Jim Labosier
Processing Completed
June 2009
Encoded by
Jim Labosier
Title
Finding Aid to the U.S. Public Health Service Historic Hospitals and Division of Nursing Public Affairs Collection, 1892-1984
Status
Unverified Partial Draft
Author
Jim Labosier
Date
June 2009
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English
Edition statement
1.0

Collecting Area Details

Part of the Archives and Modern Manuscripts Collection Collecting Area

Contact:
8600 Rockville Pike
Bldg 38/1E-21, MSC 3819
Bethesda MD 20894 US
1-888-FINDNLM (1-888-346-3656)