Skip to main content
To request boxes, please see the Reference Librarian to submit the collection and box number(s) via LocatorPlus.

Andrew Glenn Morrow Cardiovascular Research Film Collection

 Collection
Identifier: ACC 2018-02

Abstract

UNPROCESSED COLLECTION. Contents are 16mm film reels of varying length, most silent and in color, originating in the National Heart Institute. Films chiefly depict surgical procedures to implant artificial aortic and mitral valves in patients with cardiac conditions such as ventricular septal defect. Most of the films consist of close-up images of Dr. Morrow's hands and arms and the patient's opened chest, though some show Dr. Morrow speaking.

Dates

  • 1958-1969

Extent

5 Linear Feet (57 reels, 5 boxes)

Creator

Physical Location

Materials stored offsite; 30 days prior notice required. Contact the Historical Audiovisuals Program for more information.

Language of Materials

Collection materials primarily in English

Access Restrictions

Unprocessed collection. Access requires production of viewing copies; 30 days prior notice required. Contact the Historical Audiovisuals Program for more information.

Copyright Information

The National Library of Medicine believes these items to be in the public domain. Contact the Reference Staff for details regarding rights.

Biographical/Historical Note

Andrew G. Morrow was born in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1922. He received his bachelor's degree from Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana. At the Johns Hopkins University, Morrow earned a degree in medicine in 1946 as well as obtained surgical training. Morrow worked for a year in Leeds, England in the General Infirmary as a senior registrar in thoracic surgery. In 1952, James Shannon, the National Heart Institutes associate director in charge of research, recruited Morrow to become the first chief of the Clinic of Surgery because of his surgical skills and prowess as a biochemist.

Installation of artificial heart valves was an area of research and experimentation for Dr. Morrow. Under the tutelage of Morrow, Nina Starr Braunwald developed an artificial mitral valve made of polyeurethane flaps. In 1960, both Morrow and Nina Starr Braunwald were part of the team that performed the first successful removal and replacement of the mitral valve in the human heart using Braunwald's design. Braunwald later devised the Braunwald-Cutter valve, which was used in thousands of valve replacement surgeries, but the Starr-Edwards valve ultimately supplanted Nina Braunwalds model. Dr. Morrow was the first surgeon to implant the Starr-Edwards valve in a patient in February of 1967, and by December of 1968, more than one hundred patients received the Starr-Edwards valve at the National Institute of Health's Clinical Center. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes Surgery Branch also was involved in the development of artificial pacemakers. Morrow contributed to the evolution of the pacemaker by determining that plutonium 238 could extend a pacemaker's useful life from eleven to twenty years. Like many cardiac surgeons of the time, Morrow sought to make strides in treating idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis. A type of idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis, later called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, is hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM), which impedes blood flow. Morrow invented a surgical technique to deal with HOCM that removed the thickening of tissue from the septum and remedied blood flow. This procedure, that became known as the "Morrow Operation," attracted surgeons from around the world to visit NIH to observe Morrow at work.

Dr. Morrow not only trained more than 140 staff and clinical associates at NIH but also taught at The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. His role in education extended beyond the classroom and operatory from describing valve replacement surgeries to President Lyndon B. Johnson to taking part in an informational video produced by NIH about types of artificial heart valves. He participated in several professional organizations such as the Society for Vascular Surgery, American College of Surgeons, and International Cardiovascular Society. Morrow also served on the editorial board of the The Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery and was a consulting reviewer of the New England Journal of Medicine. In 1962, he was granted the Arthur S. Flemming Award for his work in federal service.

As a long-time smoker, Morrow developed HCM and atrial fibrillation in his own heart and died on August 12, 1982 after repeatedly refusing treatment. Many of Morrow's colleagues gathered on September 30, 1983, to dedicate the Surgical Wing of the Clinical Center to him, including James Wyngaarden, the Director of NIH at the time of the ceremony, who had been a clinical associate of Morrow.

Collection Summary

The collection consists of twenty-three titles created between 1958 and 1969, arranged roughly in chronological order. The films were produced by the Medical Arts and Photography Branch (MAPB) of the National Institutes of Health. Investigators working at the various institutes and centers could request that procedures be filmed, and MAPB recorded the work of more than fifty NIH investigators between the 1950s and the 1970s. In the Morrow collection, most of the films feature Dr. Morrow performing cardiac procedures, chiefly implanting different types of artificial aortic valves. A few of the films include other surgeons or nurses working with Morrow, and several focus on apparatuses used during the surgeries. The surgical suite facilities in the Clinical Center are also shown.

Abstract

UNPROCESSED COLLECTION. Contents are 16mm film reels of varying length, most silent and in color, originating in the National Heart Institute. Films chiefly depict surgical procedures to implant artificial aortic and mitral valves in patients with cardiac conditions such as ventricular septal defect. Most of the films consist of close-up images of Dr. Morrow's hands and arms and the patient's opened chest, though some show Dr. Morrow speaking.

Arrangement

Collection is arranged into one series.

Physical Location

Materials stored offsite; 30 days prior notice required. Contact the Historical Audiovisuals Program for more information.

Provenance

Transfer, National Archives and Records Administration-Washington National Records Center, 1999, Accession #2018-02.

General

Processed by
Rachel James; Gabrielle Barr
Processing Completed
March 2018
Encoded by
Gabrielle Barr
Title
Finding Aid to the Andrew Glenn Morrow Cardiovascular Research Film Collection, 1958-1969
Status
Unverified Partial Draft
Author
Rachel James; Gabrielle Barr
Date
March 2018
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latn
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English
Edition statement
1.0

Collecting Area Details

Part of the Historical Audiovisuals Collection Collecting Area

Contact:
8600 Rockville Pike
Bldg 38/1E-21, MSC 3819
Bethesda MD 20894
1-888-FINDNLM (1-888-346-3656)