Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Contains records kept by Jacobs, then a U.S. Public Health Service officer, while assigned to the Campbell as medical officer.
In 1824 the young American Navy began to conduct professional examinations for candidates for the medical corps. A permanent board was appointed in Philadelphia, with Edward Cutbush as senior member. After 1828, assistant naval surgeons who had been commissioned and had served for five years were also given the right to apply for examination for promotion. This collection consists of some of the examination papers from both applicants for appointment and for promotion.